Saturday, January 11, 2014
Of cutting and self harm
I thank everyone one of my friends who have been there for me. Those who knew what I was going through and those who didn't but had my back anyways. One thing that concerns me is how easy it is for someone to but self harming or contemplating suicide, all the while no one realizes it. I dealt with self harm for over a year, and even now, the urge rises now and then. I know there are many reasons why people decide to self harm. For me it was a way to have some control, and to be able to feel something in a world where most emotional pain no longer registered. I love all my friends deeply yet sometimes it feels like a have no one to talk to, or no one that I can talk to. I have problems connecting to people socially to the degree that even when I am surrounded by my friends, I can feel totally alone. I only know of 2 or 3 people that I am open with, but even then I don't share much. My point in this is that several of my friends, and even the majority of my family never knew what I was going through. It was not unusual to be talking to my mother about my week telling her how good things were, meanwhile I had hidden scars from the day before. It is important for people to keep up with their friends. Even if your friends are not totally open and won't tell you what is going on in their life, at least be there for them. As one who has dealt with self harm, I can honestly say that it makes a big difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
“One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.”
ReplyDelete